airberlin flight to innovation - build the next big thing for airberlin's network of 30 million guests worldwide
Use airberlin's Lab to recombine data/services into customer-centric APP's.
Design your APP's to meet real needs and lower friction.
Welcome on board. At airberlin, we are passionate to build and support great apps and features with you. With this challenge we are opening data access exclusively for developers participating in the challenge to craft a new experience for our guests.
Travel experience with airberlin is about choice: an individual, very personal, non-commodity, great price/value travel experience. The perfect travel experience is smart & seamless, relaxing and productive. Highly relevant services will support, engage, entertain, surprise and delight airberlin travelers.
#airberlinlab # flighttoinnovation #airberlinhack #xapixhack
Challenge 1: At the airport
With this challenge, you are tackling pain points that every traveler is potentially facing at the airport: People are in stress to reach the flight as the true time to gate through security is often not clear. Time at the gate can be long, boring, and unproductive. The amenities and offers around the airport and the upcoming flight are not always clear- shall I get a sandwich now are wait till I get something on the plane? Travelers don't want to walk across the airport but still enjoy services directly delivered to them.
airberlin is looking for solutions that will enrich the airport experience for their guests. Use of time is essential for modern flight guest, waiting however is a nightmare for most travelers. So what is the most efficient and effective way to assess the stress levels experienced by passengers in the airport and how can guests have a positive, engaging experience at the airport? Experiences that are worth spending money at the airport- Not only for upgrades, but also for entertainment & other ways of comfort traveling. The perfect travel experience is smart & seamless & highly relaxing. Cool solutions like gamification and location services will also entertain flight travelers. Combined with a surprise effect, passengers of airberlin will enjoy their time at the airport. There are also lots of partners from, to and at the airport to connect with.
Challenge 2: Corporate Customers
With this challenge, we make flying & booking with us much easier for corporate business travelers. Business travelers often need to change their flights due to longer meetings or unexpected events- but this often requires complex interactions with service agents. Conversely, flights are sometimes delayed which requires reshuffling of meeting plans. Business travelers also currently have limited options to work effectively during their journey.
airberlin is looking for solutions that enhance the travel experience for our business customers and improve capabilities for the specific needs of those customers (e.g. on time, reliability, flexibility, best buy, exclusivity, work space ) across the entire journey (from inspiration, bookings, commuting to the airport, at the airport, flight, at the destination airport, arriving at destination and additional services such as loyalty points and lounges) keeping in mind that solutions will often necessitate involvement of a corporate travel manager.
- Individuals who are at least the age of majority where they reside as of the time of entry (“Eligible Individuals”)
- Teams of Eligible Individuals (“Teams”)
- Teams of Eligible Individuals entering on behalf of organizations (including corporations, not-for-profit corporations and other nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities) that exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry (Organizations”).
- See rules for excluded countries in the rules section such as, but not limited to, Brazil, Quebec, and Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, and Syria.
- Join challenge on Devpost by clicking the “Register for this Hackathon” button. To complete registration, sign up to create a Devpost account, or log in with an existing Devpost account. There is no charge for creating a Devpost account. This will enable you receive important updates and access the “Enter a Submission” page.
- Use the airberlin lab to power the backend of your prototype software application. Registered participants can access the lab free of charge at: app.xapix.io/airberlin
- Create a video that includes footage that clearly explains your application’s features and functionality through a comprehensive demonstration.
- Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page on Devpost during the Hackathon Submission Period and submit your APP for evaluation.
How to enter
Just a few steps and you'll be set-up on xapix.io, the developer tool that gives you exclusive access to airberlin's data endpoints and allows you to easily recombine them with public APIs.
- Register for the challenge with Devpost to receive important updates
- Sign up on airberlinlab to access the hackathon wizard
- The wizard will preconfigure the endpoints for your project
- Invite your collaborators to join your team on both xapix and devpost
- Join the conversation in our Slack Channel
CEO & Co-Founder @ Tnooz
VP E-Commerce @ airberlin
SVP IT @ airberlin
SVP Commercial Strategy & Distribution @ airberlin
VP Sales Scheduled Services @ airberlin
First Officer @ airberlin
Global Product Parterships @ Google
Platinum Flyer @ airberlin
Developer Advocate @ Uber
Flight Attendant @ airberlin
Innovation and Relevance
Includes the creativity, innovation, and originality of the idea, as well as the extent to which relevant data/services have been integrated with the Application.
Each submission is evaluated for the level of functionality and optimization that has been achieved over the development timeframe. Does a working prototype exist? Is there a working backend? How mature is the solution?
How well was the challenge addressed? Does the idea solve a real problem? How well does if differentiate airberlin’s offering? What is the potential impact on airberlin's business?
Practicality of Concept
How feasible is development with airberlin from a business perspective? How feasible is development with airberlin from the technical perspective?